Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > On-Hand Graduation books

On-Hand Graduation books [Main Page]
Books stored by YFP, and or members.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Need information on a relative's military service?

In order to find out about an individual's Marine Corps service, the first thing we need to do is to get the Social Security Number. This normally can be gotten by searching the Social Security Death Index. I use legacy.com as it is a free service. Use their Search to find an obituary, then click on the SSDI tab listed at the top of the obits. This will show you all the people with the name you searched. Locate your relative by city/state and year of death and click on "More Details".

Once the social security number is obtained, you need to write to get a copy of the service records. The two pages you really need to ask for are the Chronological Record and the Promotions page.

The Chronological Page will show you the date the individual graduated from boot camp (the first TR entry) and a listing of the units served with.

Depending on the years served, the other pages are the Awards page, Weapons Firing page, Schools page, Combat History page, Admin Remarks page, Offenses/Punishments page.

Also request a copy of the DD-Form 214 (A kind of recap of an individual's service for time of enlistment. Each enlistment has it's own DD-Form 214.) It may take a month or so for copies of the service records to be sent to you. Request records by going to: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

For those who are not familiar with military terminology, once the service records arrive, if you would send me a Private Message via this website with your email address (by clicking on "cmyr" at the top of this posting), I will contact you so that we can "translate" the information you have received. Then you can either scan certain sections and email them to me or send me individual questions about the information so I can explain the information to you.

These service records will also provide you a listing of individual units your relative served with (Chronological page). Again, once the abbreviations are all translated, you will be able to search the internet to see if there are websites for these units. The websites usually have message boards for you to post requests, i.e., I am looking for anyone who may have served with my father.....

In the meantime, we have the boot camp database at Yellow Footprints. You can keep checking back to see if you recognize your relative in any of the recruit graduation pictures that are there. http://www.yellowfootprints.com/yearbook/index.php
Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Administrator

bump-itty-bump
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Administrator

For those looking for information on a relative's service in the Marine Corps, please follow the steps above to receive information. Due to the Privacy Act, we are unable to provide it to you.

As a side note, boot camp platoon numbers may be found in the service records of Marines who served prior to the era of computer generated service record book pages. You need to look in the lower left-hand corner of the page to see if there is a "dog tag-like" imprint with the name and SSN. On the second line of the "imprint" the information recorded will be the rank, MOS, and then the platoon number.

Again, we do not have access to personal information on a Marine's service. This can only be provided to a relative by requesting the information from the National Personnel Records Center.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Administrator

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html is a fairly easy process and I have used it a number of times to get a Veteran's records for them. Those of you that have computers, and are comfortable with them, should help those that are computer challenged or don't have a computer. Just be sure to request all of the records that the Veteran wants as multiple requests will delay the process. Once you have finished all of the steps, it will bring you to a Signature Verification page that you can print out. Have the Veteran sign it and then fax it to the NPRC. I've seen it only take a couple of weeks for the NPRC to send a Veteran a couple of Certified Copies of the Veteran's DD-214 out. If more than a DD-214 is requested, it may take longer.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:20 PM

Although we’ve posted listings of books we have in-house on a number of Marine web sites the word doesn’t seem to be getting out to the general Marine population. If you are a member of organizations like the MCL, or VFW please pass the word these books are available free of charge to those Marines who have lost their books.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Sonnet

Have you posted your book collection here, I don't think I've seen the post. For the record you are MORE than welcome to create a thread where you list your books....Let us know if there is anything we can do to help?

Admin

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com